Saturday, February 16, 2013

Review of COLD-CASE CHRISTIANITY by J. Warner Wallace



Photo Credit: David C. Cook

Rating: 5 out of 5

I came to faith in Jesus when I was sixteen. When I was eighteen, I became a skeptic. I came to the conclusion that nothing about the Christian faith could be true. I wrestled in misery with what felt like the world falling out from underneath me. It everything about Jesus wasn't true, what was the point of life? I felt purposeless without someone divine to give me purpose. Then I was introduced to a book that defended Christianity by Lee Strobel. By the time I finished his book THE CASE FOR CHRIST, I felt like I was alive again to a God who had never left me, and now I knew the evidence that pointed to his reality. COLD-CASE CHRISTIANITY by Christian and homicide detective J. Warner Wallace is a new book that looks at that evidence from a new and insightful angle. Wallace was once a skeptic. After using his skills as a homicide detective to test the Gospels' validity as eyewitness accounts, Wallace was convinced that Christianity must be true and that Jesus must have been who he said he was.

COLD-CASE CHRISTIANITY was written to give others the tools and knowledge to text the validity of Christian faith. Wallace begins with ten foundational principles we need to assume to reach an authentic conclusion to our search for answers. These are things like examining our presuppositions, looking at circumstantial evidence, and weighing the evidence. Then he gets into the heart of the book, which is examining all the available evidence for the New Testament's validity. Wallace reminded me once again why I've decided to trust the message contained in the New Testament about Jesus.

I loved the chapter about outside sources corroborating the internal witness. Can all of this be definitively proven beyond all doubt? No, but the evidence, as Wallace shows, makes the most sense if what the New Testament records is accurate and true.

COLD-CASE CHRISTIANITY is a great book for two types of people. The first is those who struggle with doubt and are looking for an in depth exploration of the evidence. The second is those who need the tools to explain the evidence for the Christian faith's validity to skeptics.

Review copy provided by David C. Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment