Thursday, December 22, 2011

My 10 Favorite Fiction Books of 2011

Here are the ten fiction books I enjoyed the most this year. From this list, it's not too hard to figure out who some of my favorite authors are. If only J.K. Rowling had written a novel this year.

10. Invasion by Jon S. Lewis (Thomas Nelson 2011) INVASION was just a really fun YA novel about teen heroes and alien invasions. I loved the comic angle in the book. I love trilogies, and this being the first in the C.H.A.O.S trilogy, I'm looking forward to seeing where this story goes. (Read my review here)

9. The Chair by James Rubart (Broadman & Holman 2011) This was the first novel by James Rubart. The premise of a guy coming across a mysterious chair allegedly made by Jesus was interesting, though I couldn't imagine the story being very suspenseful. Rubart delivered a page-turning story, filled with suspense and emotion and hope. I'll be checking out Rubart's other novels now. (Read my review here)

8. Darkness Follows by Mike Dellosso (Realms 2011) This isn't a feel-good novel at all. In fact, it was quite disturbing. Yet it was a really great story about a daughter's deep love for her father, and as a father, I really loved that about this story. Dellosso knows how to use a dark tale to communicate spiritual truth. (Read my review here)

7. The Priest's Graveyard by Ted Dekker (Center Street 2011) Dekker's story about a priest who takes the law into his own hands is a disturbing tale that exposes our desperate need for grace. As always, Dekker surprised me with an intense story reversal that I should've seen coming. (Read my review here)

6. Vigilante by Robin Parrish (Bethany House 2011) I've loved every Robin Parrish novel to date, and this one was no exception. I've always loved superheroes and especially origin stories, and this story is a great superhero story. I'd love to see Parrish follow up this story with another story about The Hand. (Read my review here)

5. 40 by Travis Thrasher (Faith Words 2011) I studied recording in college with the hope of being a producer someday, which never happened, so 40 was a fun novel to read because it was like an inside look at the music recording industry. Thrasher's creepy novel about a music producer learning that he wouldn't live past his fortieth birthday is all about how the choices we make shape our history. It's a bittersweet story about regret and the hope of a meaningful life. (Read my review here)

4. One Step Away by Eric Wilson (Bay Forest Books 2011) I had been wanting to read Eric Wilson's books for awhile. Finally, I decided to dive into his latest novel, and after reading it, I'm sure I've found another favorite writer and can't wait to dive into his other books. ONE STEP AWAY is a suspenseful story about a suburban family struggling to make ends meet who is suddenly left with more money than they could ever imagine. What seems like a blessing begins to look more like a curse. Someone wants them to suffer greatly, and the past is coming back to haunt them. It's a tale about the unexpected ways God works in the lives of people. (Read my review here)

3. Frantic by Mike Dellosso (Realms 2012) This book doesn't actually come out until 2012, but as a member of Mike Dellosso's Darlington Society, I got to read it early. It was definitely one of the best book's I've read this year. FRANTIC is supernatural thriller about a man trying to rescue a woman and her gifted brother from a madman. Little does he know that the rescue attempt will land them right in the middle of a disturbed serial killer's path. Dellosso's pace is quick, and the mounting suspense and mystery kept me turning pages until the end. This will be one of the best Christian fiction titles of 2012. (Read my review here)

2. Gravestone by Travis Thrasher (David C. Cook 2011) Travis Thrasher has grown to be one of my favorite storytellers because of his ability to embrace several different genres. This is the second book in his creepy young adult series THE SOLITARY TALES, and it is intense all the way through. My favorite television show was LOST because it kept me guessing all the way through. GRAVESTONE is like that. I can't wait to read the final two books in the series in 2012 and finish the journey with Chris Buckley as he discovers the hidden secrets of Solitary. (Read my review here)

1. Forbidden by Ted Dekker & Tosca Lee (Center Street 2011) There was a lot of hype built around Dekker and Lee's collaboration on a new post-apocalyptic trilogy about a world where every human being is dead and doesn't know it. When I read it, there was no doubt that the story far surpassed the hype. I was a little nervous about the collaboration because, though I've enjoyed every Dekker novel, the collaboration novels didn't always feel totally Dekker. FORBIDDEN was a perfect collaboration. It was a moving beginning to an epic retelling of redemptive history. I can't wait for the final two novels out in 2012. (Read my review here)

No comments:

Post a Comment