Sunday, June 19, 2011

Thoughts on Father's Day

"Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate." - Psalm 127:3-5

Father's Day is great, but I'm overwhelmed by this sense that the day is really about my children. After all, without them, I wouldn't be a father. So their existence is truly the greatest Father's Day gift they could give me.

I'm so in love with them, so grateful for them, and want the best life imaginable for them. So I find in this day that all I really want is to show Lucy and Kalel how grateful I am for them, and how grateful I am for their mom and their little brother Sylar who is only days away from joining us.

My joy is found in bringing them joy. The moment I start thinking they owe me anything is the moment I forget that they are God's gift to me, to love them, and to lead them into his kingdom of light and love and eternal bliss. They owe me nothing, and I owe them a life dedicated to God's dreams for their lives. For that I am infinitely blessed.

So I take today to say Happy Father's Day to my wonderful and beautiful wife Lindsey and my 3 incredible children Lucy, Kalel, and Sylar because I am a father because of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment