Friday, July 22, 2011

Review: The Writer's Manifesto by Jeff Goins

20110722-042451.jpg
Some people wake up every morning with an intense desire that won't go away. Though many of them make countless excuses why they shouldn't do it or that they'll have plenty of time to do it later, it's still there, and many don't know what to do with it. The desire often verbalizes itself in the form of, "I want to be a writer someday." The problem is the word "someday." As long as we keep saying that we'll be a writer someday, it always remains a mere possibility in our future.

If this is where you find yourself, Jeff Goins' concise book THE WRITER'S MANIFESTO is a call to action. Writers write because it is what they love to do. It's not about getting published or being known; it's because we have a relentless drive to create. And we're called to honor that drive by "showing up" and simply beginning each day to write. Goins gives writers the courage to say, "I am a writer today."

For years I told myself that I was going to be a writer someday, even as I would write every now and then when inspiration would strike. Then I realized if I wanted to be a writer, then I had to start writing regularly. So I did, and the feeling of creating and exploring is incredible and freeing. This is the call of THE WRITER'S MANIFESTO.

It's a quick and easy read, making its point thoughtfully and clearly, and freeing a writer up to create.

For more information about Jeff Goins he blogs regularly at jeffgoins.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment