Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Review of Perspective in Action by David Chelsea

When I was younger, I used to draw all the time. I don't think I was particularly great at it, but I was decent. Most of the things I drew looked somewhat like what I intended. As I've gotten older and become more and more a fan of graphic novels and video game art, I've wanted to get better as an artist. I'm a writer, but I'd love to be able to both write and illustrate. The problem I've faced as I've been practicing drawing in the last couple years is that I just can't get perspective down. It makes sense to me, but I can't seem to implement it in my drawings.

I'm currently working through David Chelsea's new book on perspective called Perspective in Action. While I'm already familiar with the concepts the book covers, Perspective in Action is unique in that Chelsea teaches readers how to understand and use perspective through a graphic novel format. This more interactive approach is fun while also challenging me with practical exercises to help me get better as an artist.

It's too soon to say whether or not this book will get me to the level I hope to reach next, but based on what I've read and worked with so far, I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to learn more about perspective in a variety of artistic mediums.

Review copy provided by Blogging for Books

No comments:

Post a Comment