Saturday, December 7, 2013

Review of BETTER by Tim Chaddick

Title: Better

Author: Tim Chaddick

Publisher: David C. Cook

What It's About: In Better, Tim Chaddick takes us on a journey through the book of Ecclesiastes and compares our world to what Solomon had to say. Ultimately, he makes a comparison between the wisdom of Solomon and the wisdom of Jesus and shows that Jesus is so much better than anything else we can find.

Why I Read It: I heard about the book on Twitter and it sounded interesting.

What I Liked About It: Chaddick is a pastor in Los Angeles where much of the culture we're surrounded by in the U.S. is shaped. I love the personal stories he shares and how he brings the ancient book of Ecclesiastes to life in our modern context. I love that the book is about Jesus being better and that Chaddick shows how Jesus is better by comparing and contrasting Jesus with real struggles we face. The structure of the book is helpful as he tackles actions, assets and aspirations. A book like this has the potential to feel like a cliche because of how much we go around talking about Jesus being better. This book doesn't fall into that trap. It was a fresh approach, and I didn't really find anything I didn't like about it.

Review copy provided by David C. Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment